Friday, October 19, 2012

DIY Swiffer Reusable Dusters and Refills



Ever since “becoming frugal” have disliked anything marketed as being disposable. It just seems so wasteful to purchase something knowing that I am going to throw it out. I use cloth napkins. We use washcloths instead of paper towel. I admit to purchasing plastic zippered baggies, but I wash them out and use them several times before they are thrown out. So the idea of buying a Swiffer and committing to a “lifetime” of disposable pads really irks me. Enough that I hit the internet to see what other solutions I could find. Green Mountain Mama has a knit Swiffer pattern that uses buttons to attach. Hakucho created a knit ball band style Swiffer pattern that uses a drawstring to stay on. Candian Crafter even has a pattern that you can make on the Knifty Knitter Loom!
Are you a crocheter? I’ve got some patterns for you too! Gerhkins bucket created a “Biffer Shrug” as well as a cover for the hand held duster. Or there is this cool reversible crochet pattern at Craftstylish.
Don’t play with sticks or hooks? How about sewing your own out of fleece (or maybe microfiber cloth?) Although she doesn’t give directions, for anyone who can sew this picture by Merwing tells all the tale you need to make your own fleece swiffer cover. She’s also got some pictoral directions for making a fleece swiffer duster.

Then again, if you really, really want to do the cheap charlie, no crafting involved version, you could just wrap a microfiber cloth around the thing and secure it with some rubber bands. Viola-it’s the ghetto version.

And if you don't like buying refills for cleaning solution, there is a way to get that refill container open so that you can put whatever solution in it that you want for your hard-wood or vinyl floors.  All you have to do is boil some water and then put the container lid down in the boiling water to cover the entire lid and then just twist it off.  It's that easy!  

The solution I use for my laminate floors in just diluted vinegar.  I use 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar when I refill the container for my Swiffer.  It works great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment